Pages

Our life with a toddler and identical triplet boys!

Life with Big Big Brother and Identical Triplet Boys!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Traveling with Kids 101


Hello Waind Party of Six readers. I'm Nessa from TheAbsurd Tales of Casa Braaflat and I am here on a little guest post assignment from Brooke. Brooke and I go back to our early college days. She once brought me a houseplant to "nurse back to health".  And that I did. I think I had that sucker for a few years. Not bad for 22 years old, a basement apartment (no sunlight) and no green thumb. We also got married the same summer. And if that doesn't bond two brides, I don't know what will. Today I am going to give you my non expert advice on traveling with kids. Here goes...

(My boys, Tate & Jack, March 2011)

1. Always be prepared for your kid to vomit. Even if they are not sick, they will surprise you and vomit. Last time we were in Arizona I was traveling with the boys by myself. We were on the plane ready to take off and come back to Minot when all of a sudden Tate threw up. It literally came out of nowhere. It was just as we were taking off so the flight attendants couldn't even help me with cleanup materials. He threw up all over himself, one of my legs and the lady's Coach purse sitting in the seat behind me. Oops. We had our carryon taken away because there wasn't room in the overhead bin so I had no change of clothes for either Tate or myself. When we were finally in the air the flight attendants did help with towels and a tshirt for Tate. And he slept the rest of the flight. Next time I will have a change of clothes for each of us and at least a small towel. Insurance.

2. Movies & snacks. Obviously. Makes even the worst flight/roadtrip more tolerable. Even for adults.

3. Pull Ups/Diapers. Even if your child has been potty trained for a year, accidents happen. Fortunately I do not have a story for this one...yet. By the way, have you ever tried fitting and adult and two kids in a airplane bathroom? Not recommended.

4. No naps/benedryl. On our first ever airplane trip with the boys, we seriously considered drugging them with benedryl. We decided against it as we generally don't resort to drugging our kids. No really they just don't need it. Even kids who never sleep (like mine), for some reason sitting on an airplane just puts them to sleep. Is there something in the air up there? Pilot, flight attendants, let me know.

5. An aisle seat. I don't really need to expound on this.

6. Tolerant/helpful strangers sitting near. You can just tell when you get on the plane and you are walking down the aisle with your littles which people do not want to sit near you. Avoiding eye contact and scowling faces are a dead giveaway. When I am old I will remember to be helpful to parents with young kids. As I will read this post to myself before every flight. Amen.

There you have it folks. My little checklist for surviving travel with little ones. I am clearly no expert but I do have experience. And everyone knows real life experience always trumps the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment