Pages

Our life with a toddler and identical triplet boys!

Life with Big Big Brother and Identical Triplet Boys!
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Morning Rounds

The main message seemed to be "cautiously optimistic." we are in a
watch and wait status for the health of the remainder of his bowels.
Since they removed the 16cm of dead bowel they are optimistic that the
remainder of his bowel will start to heal. One of the labs they are
watching most closely is his lactate, which is down from over 3
yesterday to 2.2 this morning and they are about to draw again.
Anything under 1 is normal. I think this will be something that we
will reference a lot when rating his progress. He still has had to
have some blood and platelet transfusions and is still recovering from
the vomit he aspirated 2 nights ago. They are keeping him very
comfortable today so that it can be a day of rest for him. He is very
swollen and they are monitoring "SIRS" or systemic inflammatory
response syndrome which is to be expected post-op. The lil bug is very
distended and puffy which is going to be hard to watch get worse
before improving. They are also watching a dark spot on one of the
exposed bowel stomas to make sure that it does not grow which would be
a sign of tissue death rather than recovery- this would make mama very
sad! So let's not do that, k buddy :) I love the intensivist dr that
is on today (and yesterday), she is so sweet and I love her honesty.
She is the first one yesterday to actually tell me that he was going
to be ok. Although this was before surgery was part of the plan, she
also did a great job going through the entire spectrum of outcomes
with Ben and I in a way that was honest and real.

I can't wait to hold Evan again, I am so proud of how strong and brave
he is being. We are also watching Payton and Riley VERY closely. The
surgeons question their status multiple times a day. We have been
instructed that at any sign of decreased interest in feeds, lethargy
or change/blood in bowel they are to be driven here asap. Dr. Z meant
business with those orders! It's not because NEC is contagious or
anything but these identical bros like to do things the same- good or
bad! I did go home with Ben for a bit last night so I could get my van
as well. I got to snuggle my 3 other boys and give my mom a hug :)
(also my friend Marcie who was there helping my mom while Ben and I
were at the hospital. Brody and Grandma S are going to smash coconuts
today just like M used to do with her gpa ;) Thank you!)

Cheers to being cautiously optimistic and to a day of rest!!

Xoxo, B

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment